Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rhubarb Agar Agar







My rhubarb is huge, and ready to eat now! I cooked some for a pie and made some extra juice to make this agar agar.


Ingredients

1 l water

200 g sugar

a few drops of lemon

600 g rhubarb stalks, cleaned and cut into pieces

2 tsp agar agar

Boil the water, sugar and lemon juice. Add the rhubarb and cook until it starts to froth. Drain and use the rhubarb to make pies (or eat by itself). Collect the juice and bring back to boil. Add the agar agar and simmer for 3 minutes.

Pour into a square or rectangular container. Cool. Cut in to squares and store in the fridge. Very refreshing and with a delicate but distinctive taste.



Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©



3 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! How is it with other types of fruit? Is it similar to mochi? I love mochi. I have a package of agar agar but haven't used it yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so pretty! I've heard of agar agar, but I'm not sure what it is. I'll have to go google it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Carissa and Michelle

    You can use the juice or pulp of any type of fruit, it is a bit more like a jelly rather than a mochi.

    Agar agar is a vegan gelling agent made from seaweed.

    ReplyDelete